[time-nuts] FE-5680A performance

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 5 22:13:39 UTC 2012

(Context is using a Tek 465 to look at a narrow PPS.)

davidwhess at gmail.com said:
>> Now turn up the Intensity until you can see the pulse.  It might
>> help to turn down the room lights.

> This is the problem.  With a 1 second repetition rate, the brightness is
> going to be very low.

For me, the picture is just a flash every second, but my eye/brain can easily
remember enough to figure out what's going on.

If I turn the intensity up enough, the beam in the idle position bleeds
through the blanking and you can see where it is resting.  (For things like
this, I set the horizontal position with the beam well on screen.)

With that as a starting point, it is easy to estimate the pulse polarity,
height, and width.  If you want to look at a detail, you have to look at the
right place on the screen and wait for the next flash.  It may take several
tries and/or a bit of practice.

Yes, I would go nuts if I had to do this very often, but it's good enough for
occasional use.