[time-nuts] Determination of the placement of the first pps

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 06:34:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM, J. L. Trantham <jltran at att.net> wrote:
> Is this, in any way, related to the fact the Earth has a Moon?
>
>  is there a way to
> 'sync' the 1 PPS output of an FE-5680A to an external signal, such as a GPS
> receiver or TBolt?  I would think that might be possible given their
> original purpose.

The 1PPS is not in the units specs.  It is just by luck that it works.
  However we could adjust the phase of the 1PPS by running the unit
fast or  slow for some period of time and then going back to exact
10MHz.  But that method could take a LONG time, like tens of thousands
of seconds.    Better I think to test the phase and if it is "off" by
more than say, 0.01 second to just power the unit off and restart and
see what luck gives you.   I bet 100 power cycles is faster than
moving the phase by 0.5 seconds.

Maybe the answer is to wire up a few decade divers and divide the
10MHz to 1pps yourself.  Thenyou can let a known good PPS reset your
counters and get the phase correct instantly

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California