[time-nuts] WWVB BPSK Receiver Project?

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Thu Mar 15 03:07:21 UTC 2012

> John
> Like your thought. I seem to remember costas loops work like that to
> recover the carrier.

Paul,

It recovers a bipolar signal to steer the local VCO as well as the data..
It also needs a quadratue hybrid at the VCO frequency (although it might
be fairly easy to make a quadrature oscillator vat 60 kHz.)

> Had seen it in amsat many years ago. So perhaps an approach is to limit
> if possible the incoming signal.

I'm not sure if it works properly with clipped (digital) dignals, off hand.

> Though further simple dumb thought. A NE602 or SA602 or also teh 612
> series. All the same mixer circuit (Or multiplier)will double the incoming
> frequency if you delay the incoming by 90 degrees I think.

Sine and Cosine are orthogonal. You need to do (Sine)*(Sine)

sin^2 (wt) = 1/2(1 - cos (2wt)

>Its a sensitive chip and has a 17 db conversion gain and is $2.40 at
> digikey. 8 pin dip. though what ever the delay at 60KC thats a long
delay. ;-)

The delay (phase shift) is not needed.

Best,

-John