[time-nuts] Distribution amp - Use a video amp unit ?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 28 06:34:18 UTC 2012

The LMH6702 is one of the few current feedback amplifiers that is stable
with a relatively low value (237 ohm) feedback resistor.

Its estimated phase noise floor is around -171 dBc/Hz with +13dBm output
(and input) in the noninverting 2x configuration with a 50 ohm load and
a 50 ohm resistor in series with its output.
Thats about 3dBc/Hz less noisy than the measured 10MHz phase noise floor
of a OPA653 in the same configuration with the same input and output
signal levels.
For offsets below about 100Hz the phase noise of an OPA653 is
indistinguishable from the noise of  measurement setup.

The effect of drafts and other air currents on the phase shift of RF
transformers is also significant for offsets of around 1Hz or less.
Extra thermal mass (encapsulation) and draft shields (even a piece of
paper) can work wonders.

Bruce