[time-nuts] GPS receiver testing

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 01:43:58 UTC 2012

On 10/31/12 6:17 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> Please read John Plumb's paper:
> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2002/paper29.pdf
>
> and Rick Hambly's paper:
> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2002/paper9.pdf

At JPL, most of the calibration and performance testing and such is done
using an antenna outside with actual signals, rather than a test set
(although we do have some fancy signal simulators).

Depending on what data you can get out of your receiver, working with
the GIPSY offline processing system might be useful.  IN a post
processing sense, you can determine what your receiver *should* have
been returning.

This morning, I was in a meeting where the JPL GPS folks were talking
about improving the terrestrial reference frame accuracy from cm scale
to mm scale over the next few years (and tieing it to celestial
references as well).  This has to account for all the things like solid
earth tides, plate movement, etc.