[time-nuts] How are non-Trimble oscillators disciplined?

Frank Hughes hp_ciscovss at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 00:11:38 UTC 2012

Hi,
Thanks for all the good advice to get me started in this fun technology!

Last weekend finished putting up the antenna that was obtained from the suggested  China source,
powered up a "new to me" Trimble Thunderbolt, obtained an old used laptop w/ DB-9 serial HW,
and have been experimenting w/ the Trimble and LH software.

I ran the 10Mhz signal into an HP 5087A DA to feed all the other things in the racks that accept
a 10Mhz external reference, works great!

One thing I am wondering about is disciplining - how much of this is HW and how much is SW?

How are non-Trimble oscillators disciplined? It it common practice to provide a GPS antenna input?

Is this a default in HW on some oscillator controllers, and/or is there some industry standard command set or
protocol to activate disciplining?

I would like to experiment with some other OCXO's, but am not sure about how they might be disciplined.

Thanks and 73
Frank
KJ4OLL