[time-nuts] SMT Probing Stuff

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Oct 1 06:59:06 UTC 2012

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
"J. Forster" <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:

> I recently bought some clean IBM Thinkpads cheap with unknown Boot
> PassWords. There is a hack to access the existing PWs and rewrite them,
> but it requires connecting to an 8 pin SMT IC.
>
> I know several vendors make "Dip Clip" type devices for connection to such
> chips, but I'd like reccomendations on whose are really any good.

What speaks against soldering some AWG30 wire onto the pins?
Usually thats nearly as fast as using a clip, but gives you much
better connection. Unless i have dozens of boards i have to connect
to, i usually use this instead of clips.

			Attila Kinali
		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin