[time-nuts] They're baaaack!

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Tue Oct 2 07:33:09 UTC 2012

There is also a proposal to pay commercial TV stations to move together
as a cluster, then chop off part of the TV band for wireless. The
current market simply will never fill the allotted DTV spectrum.
[Cable/satellite/internet-streaming filled the void.] It is a bit
nauseating to pay the broadcasts for spectrum that they never paid for
in the first place.

While I don't favor paying the broadcasters, I like everything else
about this approach. Further, I'd get rid of VHF DTV all together. In
the transition period, we did just fine when they were all on UHF. Save
VHF for public service. I'd even grant the old VHF users an extra
site/channel or two to make up for lost range.

Currently the wireless companies in the US, at least the two major GSM
providers, are dumping the 2G service to recover that spectrum. It is
probably cheaper to migrate the 2G customers to 3G, then convert the old
spectrum to LTE, than to buy new spectrum for LTE.

As I have stated here before, there is already a satellite mobile
service with ground transmitters, namely XM and Sirius. That system
works today, and one of the bands is completely redundant after the
merger. Let Light Squared pay off Sirius XM if they need a functional
band. They could use the money.