[time-nuts] Best counter setting for ADEV?

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Thu Oct 4 12:34:55 UTC 2012

Azelio,

as an example, with a 53131A you have an output 'granularity' of +/- 500
ps.
No matter how much averaging happens inside the counter, if the least
significant digit is 500 ps, then the (ADEV) measurement limit is always
5E-10 at 1 sec as I posted in the initial post to this thread. This is
not the accuracy of the counter, it's simply the available display and
output string resolution.
At 10 sec., the ADEV limit of the same counter is 5E-11 etc. etc.
finally getting limited by the reference source and other effects.
If the DUT's ADEV is in the 1E-13's, any measurement values below 1000
sec. are void and represent just the measurement limit of the +/- 500ps
counter.

Now I'm waiting to receive 'glasses' for my 53131A that are in transit :)

Adrian