[time-nuts] Low cost GPS for model aircraft

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 05:50:14 UTC 2013

I was looking at this GPS with a PPS output for $22 plus shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31135__neo_6m_gps_module.html
[]
Now my question is: what do you think of the above GPS model? Does anyone
have experience with it? It is supposedly based on the ublox NEO-6M GPS
module.

I have also contacted: http://www.inventeksys.com/products-page/gps-modules/
To see what they have to offer.

I'm open to any suggestions - as long as the cost is low or I can get free
samples. And I don't care if I can buy something for less fully assembled
and tested. I'm a Maker. I want to make it. And write it up for the magazine
I write for.

Simon

Simon,

I have a couple of the ublox NEO 6M modules from China and they seem to work
well for indoor timekeeping use, at this location.  I had to add a wire from
pin 3 as it wasn't connected on my board, and while I see the Hobby King one
has a connection to that pin, it's not brought out onto the edge connector.

You may also like to look at the Adafruit GPS module, which has the PPS pin
brought out, and can accept 5V and 3.3V supplies, and on paper is more
sensitive for tracking (-165 dBm vs. -162 dBm), but I've not carried out any
performance comparisons here.

  http://www.adafruit.com/products/746

Cheers,
David