[time-nuts] OT - USB to LPT Adapter - Does it exist?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jan 11 19:42:42 UTC 2013

Mark Spencer wrote:
> Joe:
>
> I've been down this road and ended up buying two "lease return" HP
> desktops for a nominal price that included on board parallel ports to deal
> with some amateur radio gear required a real parallel port.
>
> As others have mentioned there are fairly recent IBM / Lenovo laptops that
> also featured parallel ports (or at least their docking stations did.)
>
> Regards
> Mark Spencer

I have an HP laptop with docking station and the docking station
provides serial and parallel ports.  The question is:  are these
"real" ports (just like built ins) or do they behave as USB dongle
versions?  One could easily imagine that the docking station did
nothing more sophisticated that emulating a USB dongle, but then again,
it does access the docking connector so there is some hope it connects
directly to the bus.

Rick Karlquist N6RK