[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jan 18 12:22:35 UTC 2013

Hi

Just to complete the thread:

You can take the inductor that resonates out C0 one more step. If you break (or tap) the inductor it can act as a transformer. The impedance transformation lets you swing the oscillator further with a specific amount of variap change in capacitance.

Resonating out C0 does indeed let you swing above the "anti resonant" point on the crystal. It also eliminates the linearity issues associated with C0.

All that said, The stability / jitter / phase noise / ADEV of a wide band VCXO is not going to be TimeNuts compatible.

Bob