[time-nuts] Timing between two GPS PPS outputs.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 08:50:22 UTC 2013

David,

Thanks for the update. The spikes I'm experiencing coincides with the
time when there are 3 or less visible satellites, as predicted by the
Trimble Planning software.

I'm glad that's resolved, Gabs.  I have seen similar spikes on my systems,
and there's no doubt that an outside antenna with a clear view all round
gives the best results.  I'm located on the top floor of a two-storey house
and if I mount patch antennas high up in the work-room they can often get a
"good enough" view.  I've recently moved Raspberry Pi #1 into an unheated,
north-facing room, and now the temperature variations are less and slower,
so NTP shows a much more stable offset.  Raspberry Pi #1 is running a
"navigation" GPS, and #2 a "timing" GPS, and the temperature variations of
the in-office #2 are the dominant factor:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp-pn.php

PC Pixie on that plot is driven from a GPS 18 LVC (not the newer 18x),and
that receiver is less sensitive and does need to be outside.  It's lying on
the sloping roof here.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu