[time-nuts] Thunderbolt E GPSDO

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Sat Jul 6 04:26:21 UTC 2013

> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 15:57:43 -0400
> From: "hvanesce" <hvanesce at comcast.net>

> Any suggestions on where to buy a Thunderbolt E GPSDO?

Trimble can try and connect you with a dealer.   It seems to be
hit-or-miss.  Diamond Point (DPIE online) has the E for £896.00 Exc
VAT.  They also have one last Mini-T for a bit less.

> I have not used a GPSDO before,  and thought that the Thunderbolt Lab Kit
> might be a good starting point.

It's a bit pricey.

> The E version seems appropriate for my current application because the data
> sheet shows Allen Deviation < 2E-11 through 1 second.
> Any suggestions on ... a Thunderbolt E Lab Kit? Or alternatives?

DPIE has the starter kit for £1,139.00.

If you want to go retail there are the Fury or FireFly II and Jackson
Labs (JL) will just sell you one.  If you're willing to buy used the
(much) older Thunderbolt (no E) can be had on Ebay for various prices
< $500 mostly from CN or HK.  James Miller (G3RUH) is still selling a
GPSDO for £260.  JL also sells a TCXO eval. kit but it's a bit
twitchy.

If you poke around you can probably get ADEV numbers for most of these.

Naturally if price is of no or little consequence you have a plethora
of choices.