[time-nuts] Thunderbolt antenna

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Sun Mar 10 16:04:26 UTC 2013

The seller had a "make offer" so I tried $20 and it was set to auto accept.  I
figure for $25 (with shipping) it's worth a shot for a new unit.  The Trimble
data sheet says it is good for up to 75 feet of coax, I think I'll end up with
about 50 here.  The antenna I have been using is a no-name pole mount unit with
25 feet of attached RG-59 coax that came with the TBolt "kit" I initially got.
I'm not a big fan of RG-59.

So what coax should I use?  Many people say use good RG-6, although the Dranetz
power line units with GPS come with a 100 foot piece of 1/4" Heliax, I have to
imagine that would be better.  Here's some on epay: 360492678643, but with wrong
connectors.  Expensive, though, here are approx attenuation numbers at the
frequency of interest:

RG-59        10.4 dB/100 ft
RG-6            8.4 dB/100 ft
Heliax          7.4 dB/100 ft         FSJ1-50A
RG-11          5.7 dB/100 ft

(Yes, I'm aware of the impedance differences)

It seems, just go with quad shield RG-6 and be done with it.  I even have part
of a spool of that laying around.  Maybe more of an issue is how do you properly
connect a TNC to that stuff (the antenna has a TNC).

Peter