[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Mar 26 07:41:07 UTC 2013

davidwhess at gmail.com said:
> I have had trouble with the built in XP NTP client where it fails silently
> so I usually install Tardis which keeps an easy to read log which includes
> performance data.

One of the problems with timekeeping is the load on the servers.

The standard ntpd package tries hard to be a good citizen.

I don't know the current status, but Tardis is a good example of a bad guy.

Lots of other systems are also buggy.   Here is a wonderful summary:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse

If I was at a university, I'd call this required reading for anybody
interested in networks.

I urge all time-nuts to scan it.  In particular, the Univ of Wisc mess by
Dave Plonka.
  Flawed Routers Flood University of Wisconsin Internet Time Server
    Netgear Cooperating with University on a Resolution
  http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.