[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt, any easy way to create 500 MHz

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:41:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM, <johncroos at aol.com> wrote:

> Re: Trimble Thunderbolt, any easy way to create 500 MHz
>
> 2. Use one of the modern phase lock loop chips with internal VCO from
> National, Analog Devices, and others. The down side is that most of these
> require an associated PIC or similar processor to load - even for one
> frequency. However for one with the required software skills this would
> most likely be the lowest cost and most straight forward approach.

Which chips to look at?   I've used a 4046 but it looks like there is
something better with a digital interface that works a higher frequency.
 What is the easiest to use and with affordable prices.

   BTW While working with a bare PIC requires some hard to acquire skills,
new uP platforms like Arduino make software easy for just about anyone.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California