[time-nuts] NTP Clock suggestions?

Al Wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Wed May 29 00:17:40 UTC 2013

     I actually built a contraption like this back in the 1970's. As chief
engineer at a couple of automated radio stations, I was tasked with keeping
the network-joiner clocks accurate. It sounded really sloppy to have dead
air or to up-cut the network. These clocks were 60 htz synchronous motors
that ran cam switches. Real PITA to adjust. Unfortunately, the utility power
drifted up and down frequency wise, a few seconds a week. Long term was
pretty good, though.

    I built a 10 mhz crystal oscillator and divided it down to 50 htz. with
a string of 7490 decade dividers. Then built a 600 htz VCO out of a pair of
7400 NAND gates biased linearly. Divided the 600 by 12 with a 7492 and PLLed
the 50 htz results with the precision 50 htz to control the 600 htz. Then
divided the 600 by 10 in another 7490 to get 60 htz. Low passed this 60 htz
square wave so it kind of looked like a sine wave and drove a small PA
amplifier (pair of 6L6's I think.) This drove a 6.3 V filament transformer
backwards to supply the 120 VAC to power the synchronous clock motors as
well as some wall clocks.

    A kluge but it worked great. Every one was happy, the owner, the GM, the
PD, and me because they got off my back about sloppy timing with the net
joiner. About once a month or so I would fire up the old SP600 in the rack
and check zero beat  of the 10 mhz timebase against WWV with Lissijous
figures on an oscilloscope. (Used the VFO of the SP600 do drive a cathode
follower into a mixer so the the scope was looking at the low IF frequency.
Zero beat was very obvious and the stability of the receive was not an
issue.)

    This thing ran fine for at least ten years. The stations changed formats
so they didn't need it any more. Probably wound up in a dumpster.

Al,  retired  (A.K.A. K9SI)