[time-nuts] display on sale

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Wed May 29 17:26:31 UTC 2013

On 5/29/2013 12:11, Robert Darlington wrote:
> I ordered two PoE clocks, one with the 12 hour face, one with the 24 hour
> face.    Earlier this week I considered using the Vetenari Clock project
> circuit board to control a cheap analog clock movement and have it do my
> bididng -however I can't write the code in $99 of my free time!

Note that the clock in the Vetenari kit is just a cheap quartz clock
like you could get anywhere, and the replacement board it comes with
isn't of any use if you're trying to do something different. Basic
quartz clocks are not a good choice for hacking into a precision display
because they can only tick forward in one second increments, with no way
to know what time is being displayed nor a reasonable way to adjust
forward or backward an hour for daylight time changes. In other words,
you can make it tick precisely but you can't really set it.

I'm sort of interested in getting an analog WWVB type clock and seeing
how much work it would be to coopt *that* hardware since it is designed
to set arbitrary times, but I have a feeling I'd be better served making
my own mechanics with a stepper motor and reduction gear. Of course a
digital clock would be much less complicated, which is what Miguel was
asking about to begin with, but that's not nearly as much fun.

-- m. tharp