[time-nuts] Computing GPS Distance Error in Time

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Nov 4 17:37:25 UTC 2013

Hi Chris,

The manual says "timing accuracy 10ns".  They further say Position Accuracy without aid: 3.0m (50% CEP), DGPS 2.5m (50%CEP).  I am just learning about all of this, and DGPS is something new to me.  I see PRN-51 in the sky but not being used.  So, I take that to mean that DGPS is turned off.  I'm going to look into the manuals today and turn DGPS on to see what difference that makes.

The problem I'm trying to solve appears in two ways.  One is that the thing marches around the near neighborhood on foxtrotgps.  The other is that I'm seeing some anomalies in the timing when using it to drive the GPSDO I'm coding.  Maybe the DGPS is the answer.  If not, I need to quantify what's happening somehow, thus my question.  So, if it's just a vector sum divided by the appropriate scaling factor, what is negative and what is positive?  Is a southeast vector negative or positive?  If it's split into quadrants, which are positive and which are negative?  And if altitude is a component, how is that factored?  etc.

Bob