[time-nuts] Detecting GPS and other jammers

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 8 01:59:11 UTC 2013

On 10/7/13 6:49 PM, John C. Westmoreland, P.E. wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I think what you have pointed out is interesting - I have even given it
> more than a passing thought on how to design what is on the CellBusted site.
>
> I am working on a design of my own on how to detect low-power RF signals
> using a wide-band method of detection.

There is a significant amount of information in the open literature on this.

A lot of hints can also be gleaned by looking at applications notes and
spec sheets from companies like Watkins-Johnson, who made
interferometric DF systems for sigint applications

The radio astronomers also do a lot with beamforming multiple antennas
using correlators.

A total power radiometer (aka crystal video) is going to have a tough
time in this sort of environment, unless you use very long averaging
intervals and do some strong signal excision