[time-nuts] GPS antenna length correction

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Mon Apr 28 13:52:31 UTC 2014

I am taking this out of the "New timing receivers" thread as it is only
peripherally related.

As I think about the geometry of satellite position and path length, it
seems to me that, since the geometry is determined by the antenna position
and not the receiver position, additional antenna cable introduces a fixed
delay value and hence a fixed constant that gets added to each path
regardless of direction. It seems to me that this would produce a much
"fuzzier" solution to position and/or variation in timing. Knowing cable
length and propagation velocity, would allow the software to subtract that
constant from all ranges and thus provide a more correct position and time
solution. Is this not the case? Does it do something simpler but "good
enough"?

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive