[time-nuts] MH370 Doppler

Joe Leikhim jleikhim at leikhim.com
Mon Aug 18 16:53:24 UTC 2014

Is anyone paying attention to all the chatter about the lost aircraft
MH370, Inmarsat's supposed flight tracks based on 6 or 7 pings (1 per
hour), the Doppler shift (BFO) and transaction timing (BTO) etc??

Basically from my perspective they are putting too much stock into the
Doppler which relies in part upon the stability of the satellite
terminal in the 777 aircraft. My question is how stable an oscillator
(reported OCXO - not confirmed)  would be under the extremes of either
or both a cabin fire or decompression event. There is a website (Duncan
Steel Blog) where some math brains are trying to sort out the raw data
provided by Inmarsat. They have made assumptions about the stability of
the local oscillator in the satellite, but I think the aircraft
satellite terminal's master oscillator is a variable they have pushed
aside.

--
Joe Leikhim

Leikhim and Associates