[time-nuts] OCXO Phase Noise Measurement in Primitive Conditions

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Thu Aug 28 06:12:20 UTC 2014

I found also that I have a hardware problem.  Bert posted recently that he keeps his OCXOs out in the open with at least one inch of free space on all six sides.  My chassis badly ignores that, with the OCXO up against the edge of the case.  I noticed that the EFC changed and then a bit later the thermistor reading changed and thought, hmmm, the OCXO on the edge of the case is seeing the temp changes first and causing unexpected changes to the loop condition.  I've hooked up my thermistor to the PLL controls.  Next is to reconfigure my GPSDO box to give the OCXO some room to breathe.  I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with this random noise from the OCXO.

Bob