[time-nuts] Minicircuits 10% discount in December

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 14:20:47 UTC 2014

On 12/5/14, 4:50 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2014 12:23, "Bob Camp" <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Shipping across the atlantic has become silly expensive over the last
> decade. There are a *lot* of organizations that are behind the curve on
> figuring out how to do it cheaply.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I ship VNA calibration kits across the Atlantic almost every week -
> admittedly in the other direction.  It doesn't cost me anything like what
> Minicircuits charge.
>
> I regularly buy thins sent via Fedex, UPS and DHL, and don't pay so much to
> ship what must be less than 2 kg - possibly less than 1 kg.
>
> I suspect that the "handling" part of the charge is the real problem.

There's probably some peculiarity that makes it "difficult" for
MiniCircuits.  Maybe they have to jump through some export control hoops
or there's some hazardous material declaration or some such; and they
haven't figured out how to do it cheaply.

It could be as simple as "it's an outlier and a very manual process".

You could send them a nice inquiry and ask..

It is odd, but not surprising.