[time-nuts] Replacement fan in SR620

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 2 20:38:50 UTC 2014

Charles,

On 02/02/14 21:06, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Magnus wrote:
>
>> I agree. You need both, but just tossing in a stronger fan isn't going
>> to cut it either.
>
> Very true.  You need to attack all of the problems to fix it.

Well, maybe not all of them, but there is several key areas that
together form the basic problem.

We also have ECL dispersed throughout the right side of the board which
also needs cooling. Most of that can be handled through general cooling
if only air flows there.

I just checked the lab, and the SR620 standing on the somewhat crowded
bench and with a SR620 manual laying on top of it was cooler than the
SR620 sitting up among the other instruments.

As I re-checked the slots for air inlet I was amazed how little there where.

Letting more air in on the back would work if there is large enough air
at the back, then setting a central baffle so that it at least sweeps
over the electronics up to the front before being sucked over the CPU
into the fan.

Also, the fan-noise did not change a lot by drying to damp the top lid,
so it seems the fan emits it mostly as a direct mode.

The older unit has a high hiss to its fan while the newer has a more
rattling sound to it.

Cheers,
Magnus