[time-nuts] 5 to 10 MHz doublers

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Apr 13 01:28:38 UTC 2015

The 5071A doublers I designed use MCL ASK-1 mixers.
The LO and RF ports are connected in series.  This
arrangement is self limiting.  So you drive them
fairly hard and the output is level.  The IF port needs
to see a DC short circuit of course.  This was
essential in the 5071A since there were 5 doublers
in cascade.   The input impedance is about 30 ohms
and you need a fair amount of drive, like 30 mA peak
to peak. I tested and rejected other approaches like
putting the ports in parallel or driving them with
a quadrature hybrid.  The series connection just
worked better. It's going on 25 years, but this is what I remember.

The filtering is another non-trivial story.  Buying
DBM's doesn't make that job any easier.

Rick Karlquist N6RK