[time-nuts] Sources for Mission Time Clock

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 11 16:01:30 UTC 2015

On 1/11/15 7:30 AM, Martin A Flynn wrote:
> I am looking for a GMT/GET mission time clock  that has the following
> characteristics:
>
>   * Reads T minus prior to launch or deployment,  T plus after.
>   * Second display for GMT.
>   * Simulating it on a PC display would be OK, would prefer an LED/LCD
>     version for wall mounting
>
> There is a example of what I am looking for in the background of this
> photo: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a16/A16_116_13_15.jpg   .   We have
> NTP, IRIG-B, and a 1 PPS source to work with.
>
> Any suggestions on a cost-effective way to accomplish this?

What does "cost effective" mean in this context?  Do you have a max
cost? Is your time cheap and cash dear, so you're willing to build
stuff, or do you just want to buy something off the shelf so you can get
it going.

How big does it have to be?  that's probably going to be the big design
driver:  these days, large flat panel TV/monitor driven by a small
computer is probably the easiest way.

If you want to go more "traditional", then there are those "flipping
disk" or flipping page displays, there have been some enormous 7-segment
displays (not counting the one with 4x8 foot sheets of plywood and a
team of artists).  There's also "rotating drums" for the digits.