[time-nuts] Tektronix Sample Heads

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Mon May 4 03:08:34 UTC 2015

Yes, that's about right, Magnus. I believe it depends on how many
sampling channels are in use, since there is a factor of two
interleaving in some cases (to the best of my memory).  That is really
the holdoff rate between the acceptance of trigger edges. If the trigger
signal rate is lower (such as 10 kHz), that will be the sampling rate.
If the trigger signal is at a higher frequency (such as 400 MHz), only
one out of every 1,000 trigger edges might be accepted.  Each accepted
trigger event causes a single sample of the input voltage (relative to
the feedback voltage) to be taken. The sampled voltage is significantly
attenuated due to sampler loss, so the sampler output is multiplied by
the assumed correction factor to change the feedback voltage (which is
then measured by a low speed high resolution A/D).  If the gain is set
correctly, the step response is pretty good, but due to nonlinearity
there is a small digital feedback error resulting in slight ringing at
the sampling rate. This ringing is often not noticed unless the scope
time/div is set to a low value.

Sampling oscilloscopes are only undersampled with respect to signals
which are not harmonically related to the trigger signal. The sequential
equivalent time sampling rate is often several THz/sec.

Basic TDR/TDT doesn't need any additional software to get an estimate of
the reflected impedance. But the iConnect software (which was developed
by a small company which Tektronix purchased many years ago) allows much
higher accuracy and removes most of the ambiguity of multiple
reflections. It also allows S-parameters to be extracted and SPICE
models to be verified.  This software isn't free - we have many more
software engineers than hardware engineers these days!

--
Bill Byrom N5BB