[time-nuts] advice for buying VCXO

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Oct 6 21:14:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, October 6, 2015 2:46 pm, Can Altineller wrote:
> Where would I get a brand new VCXO, that has < 1ppm, and specs that are
> true.

Where does the requirement for < 1ppm come from?  I assume by that you
mean center of control range within 1ppm of nominal frequency.  What pull
range will you be using?  Across what temperature range?

The features you have asked for are very vague, but using just those I
searched the crystals and oscillators section of Digikey for oscillators
at 10MHz or 12.8MHz, VCXO or VCTCXO, and got 155 results.
The top of the list is a VCTCXO from Abracon, 12.8MHz, +/- 2.5ppm
stability for US $3.19.

Searching for +/- 1ppm or less drops the number of devices to 41, top of
the list is Connor-Winfield +/- 0.1ppm for US $19.95.

This was under 1 minute of searching, so I'm curious how you were
searching that came up so empty.

--
Chris Caudle