[time-nuts] Z3805A firmware?

David Gravereaux davygrvy at pobox.com
Tue Sep 29 06:28:27 UTC 2015

On 09/28/2015 10:40 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> 2) A decades-old surplus eBay GPSDO like this is good to absolutely stunning for home and casual lab use. But I would avoid using them for embedded, serious, professional, or life-safety applications. Can you tell us more what your application is?

10MHz output will be reference for a couple frequency counters and an
osc in the workshop.  port2 time-of-day will feed an embedded Linux
solution for doing SNTP/NTP and PTP grandmaster servers to share on the
LAN.  PTP grandmaster will be the main clock for a 12 channel AVB (audio
video bridging 802.1av) audio setup in my home theater as well as other
AVB experiments in the workshop.

In a sense, it doesn't really matter about precision clock as my NetGear
GS724T managed switch already has has a fallback grandmaster.  As time
is relative, the once-per-minute jumps due to SNTP requests from the
switch effect everyone equally at the same moment.  If I was using PTP
for frequency generation, which I just might intend to do in the future,
it should matter.

I hear ya.  I'm just a hobbyist.  OMNICRON is for the business solution
searchers https://www.omicron-lab.com/shop/PTP-Grandmaster-Clocks.html

Thanks for the battery clue, I'll have a look.

--
davygrvy at pobox.com:~$ make war
make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.