[time-nuts] Adapting my GPSDO to the FE-5680A

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Wed Apr 20 14:17:58 UTC 2016

I spent some time yesterday mashing together my FE-5680A "breakout" board with my GPSDO to make a GPS discipline board for it. Before I send the board off to OSHPark, I'd like to open the design to criticism (and I mean that in its neutral sense) here first.

https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/6872294011648/GPS%20Disciplined%20FE5680%20v1_0.pdf

or

https://hackaday.io/project/6872-gps-disciplined-xcxo

And skip down to the latest log entry for discussion.

I've seen John M's page that talks about the ADEV of the 5680A - in particular that it's low tau ADEV doesn't (to my eye) appear to be a whole lot better (if at all - I'm currently getting 8E-12 @ 2s) than the OH300. But I've got one, and it's got nothing better to do, and it'd be interesting to see how much benefit is to be had by improving the mid-tau performance over the OH300.

I've seen here posts about folks modifying the 5680 as part of a GPSDO. I'm not interested in doing that as my aspirations are not quite so high.  I just want to see what happens when the 5680A can be made accurate (well, more, anyway) as well as stable.

Sent from my iPhone