[time-nuts] Timelab, two SR620s and losing samples

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Jan 17 11:52:13 UTC 2016

--------
In message <569B61CF.3030708 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:

>> This is a common misunderstanding:  Talk-only does *not* protecting you
>> against timing issues on GPIB.
>>
>> On RS-232, yes, but not on GPIB.
>
>Agree, to some degree. It's not a guarantee.
>
>I think you should develop that line of thought, to detail why it helps
>on GPIB and why not on serial.

It's really very simple:  RS-232 sends blind, you don't even need to
know if there is a receiver or what it does.  If the receiver cannot
keep op, data is simply lost.

GPIB handshakes every byte, so the actions of the receiving end affects
the transmitting end - in particular if the receiver cannot keep up.