[time-nuts] GPS for Nixie Clock

John Swenson johnswenson1 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 01:15:31 UTC 2016

Hi Hal,
I've done NTP before, I wanted to do this with GPS since I have never
done a GPS implementation before.

Xerox Alto, wow that brings back memories! My dad worked at Xerox in
Palo Alto for 20 years in the 70s and 80s. He primarily worked on the D
machines but I did get to use an Alto a few times when I was in high
school. I learned Mesa sitting in front of one.

That must have been 3Mbit Ethernet right?

I remember going to the lab one Saturday, they were working on a machine
that was supposed to have a custom chip, but it was not ready, so they
used 7 ASICs, but those were not ready yet either, so they made a large
board out of TTL for each ASIC with a ribbon cable into the motherboard,
these boards were hung on fishing line from the ceiling so they were
just above the motherboard with a very short cable. That thing really
looked like something out of a movie.

John S.