[time-nuts] NCOCXO anyone?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 22 19:28:08 UTC 2016

attila at kinali.ch said:
> You can already get 24bit DAC's off the shelf from TI (DAC1282). I do not
> know how stable they are in reality. ...

There are 2 markets for DACs and ADCs.  I'll call them DC and RF, but the RF
goes down to audio.

In the DC market, the data sheet talks about linearity and usually covers
temperature stability.

In the RF market, the data sheet has Fourier transform plots when the input
is a clean sine wave or pair of sine waves.   Think software radios, radar or
spread spectrum.  The usual one term summary is ENOB: Effective Number of
Bits.

In the RF market, nobody cares about temperature drift.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.