[time-nuts] synchronization for telescopes

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:25:10 UTC 2016

Maybe there is some simpler way to synchronize the telescopes.   Do they
even need to know the absolute time?  I think only relative time maters.

For that all they need is some kind of a signal that all the telescope can
"see".   Could they use an FM or TV broadcast station?  They could sample
and record the signal at a very high sample rate (maybe 4X the career
frequency) and record their data at the same time.  each telescope would
need to know its distance to the broadcast antenna.

The idea is to make the hardware cheaper and simpler and put all the "work"
on the post processing software developers.

For this purpose, measuring the time difference of photons detected at
different locations, I don't think the broadcast career needs to be
exceptionally stable.  In post all you do to slide the recorded signal
until a best match is found.  So we do need a modulated carrier.  We also
have LOTS of data to use to compute the time alignment because you do it
later, we'd have billions of samples so it should be immune to noise