[time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Nov 7 04:38:04 UTC 2016

Thank you everyone for the superb set of replies to this posting over the weekend. I'm sure I will have my 5071A boards working again shortly. Thanks also for the generous offers on- and off-list from people who do this professionally. The level of hands-on experience on this list is amazing.

If there's more to add to the thread in the coming week, perhaps send it to me off-list.

Thanks,
/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at LeapSecond.com>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2016 11:12 AM
Subject: [time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

See C13 in the attached photo. I need to replace some blown caps on a few boards [1]. In one instance the cap got so hot it melted itself off the board. Quiet convenient, actually -- it acts like its own fuse -- but I don't think the 5071 designers had that clever feature in mind.

Having not done SMT before, how should I do it with minimal risk to the very precious PCB. Or, what equipment should I use this as a good excuse to buy?

Thanks,
/tvb

[0] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/quotes
[1] http://leapsecond.com/museum/hp5071a/A1-mother.htm