[time-nuts] How phase stable is rg59 or alternate coax

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:59:19 UTC 2016

When I first took a look at some of the coax datasheets I couldn't find
anything. I was able to find the following paper "phase stability of
typical navy radio frequency coaxial cables"
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/628682.pdf I attached the table
from the last page. They estimate RG59 to have a tempCo of -330 PPM/degC
for electrical length. They also estimated RG-58 at -480 PPM/degC.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:

> I can't find the data right now, but will keep digging.  There's also a
> short paper from the early 2000s from Haystack on their measurement of
> LMR400 in an environmental chamber.  They came to the same conclusion, but
> I can't find that paper either. :-

John, many thanks for the Haystack tip! That is a wonderful paper, I
believe the one you are quoting is "Dispersion and temperature effects in
coax cables" http://www.haystack.mit.edu/tech/vlbi/mark5/mark5_memos/067.pdf