[time-nuts] Google public NTP service

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Nov 30 20:35:06 UTC 2016

Yo Poul-Henning!

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:31:09 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> In message <F80F97D3-CE19-43B9-B37F-BE5D5F186D7E at n1k.org>, Bob Camp
> writes:
>
> >> I would support an RFC to mark the type a time an chimer is
> >> servings. Not only smeared and UTC, but also TAI, UT, UT0, UT1,
> >> UT2, ET, TDT, TDB, TT, TCG, TCB, GPS, etc…
> >
> >That would probably be a good point to make on the NTP list :)
> >
> >The gotcha is that there is essentially zero time to approve and
> >implement something like that before the end of next month …
>
> And no space in the NTP packets for the bits.

Not true.  NTP has provision for arbitrrary extensions to an ntp packet.

See RFC 5905. https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5905.txt section 7.3:

    "The packet format consists of three components: the header itself,
    one or more optional extension fields, and an optional message
    authentication code (MAC). "

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588