[time-nuts] HP-105B Battery Replacement?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Sep 16 17:01:42 UTC 2016

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 00:50:56 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem at rellim.com said:
> > APC UPS can't handle the longer runtime, but never had a problem
> > with any version of CyberPower.
>
> There are two parameters for UPS boxes.  One is the power the
> electronics can handle.  The other is the amount of energy the
> batteries can hold.

You can change up the batteries for more runtime, but real cheap UPS
will overheat and die.  They were not designed for steady state
operation.

That is the problem with the cheaper APC.  They were designed for 5 or
10 mins at max power.  Run them for two hours at max power then they
overheat and permanently fail.

> I think some of the smaller units have inadequate cooling to run at
> rated power for long, but their batteries are small enough so that
> they run out of power before the electronics overheats.

Nothing to do with size.  I have seen this in big and small.

The other thing is whether there is a transfer switch, or the UPS is on
continuously.  The APC tend to switch the batteries and DC/AC converter
online only when needed.  OTOH, the CyberPower run from the batteries
all the time.  The transfer glitch can be quite large and affect the
load.  So the float type UPS tends to give smoother power more of the
time.

RGDS
GARY
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588