[time-nuts] Frequency counter questions

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Apr 25 20:22:24 UTC 2017

Hi

Keep in mind the previously stated limitation - Your GPSDO is only just
so accurate. If you *could* read 0.001 Hz on a 100 MHz signal in a second,
the GPSDO would not be anywhere near good enough as a reference. Keeping
track of that sort of stuff is one reason a lot of companies train you very early
in converting everything to PPM / PPB / PPT rather than talking about Hz. It’s
a lot easier to note that 1 ppt is past what a GPSDO will do at 1 second than
listing out all the various fractional Hz / MHz signals that are at the limit.

——

The main weak point on the 5335 is the input circuit. With the attenuator set
to 0 db, you can fry it with a 5V signal. Back when it was new and 5V TTL
was all over the place, it was a major risk. Today it’s less of a risk, but still
worth being aware of. An accidental connection to +12 is also a good way
to nuke it ….With the attenuator set as you normally would for a 5V or 12V
signal there really isn’t much risk.

Bob