[time-nuts] Line Voltage - USA

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Wed Jan 4 16:06:38 UTC 2017

Hi David.   I've been told that in Canada the residential supply voltage in a neighbourhood is often set to account for the voltage drop in typical residential branch circuits.

The last time the supply voltage in my home was checked it read 125 volts from each "service pole" to neutral or 250 volts from service pole to service pole.   The voltage on most of my normal branch circuits was typically 122 volts or so.   The minor issue for me is that I had a number of dedicated branch circuits using larger than normal wire installed that only served one load each so the voltage drop on those circuits was negligible.

(I also had the electrical service upgraded which involved larger supply conductors to the house which in turn would also have had less voltage drop.)

Good luck.

Mark Spencer