[time-nuts] 10MHz to 25MHz

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 19 18:33:21 UTC 2017

HI

A lot of your evaluation of the term “better” will depend on your intended use. One of the limits on phase noise
is the thermal noise floor. Because of that, starting at a higher frequency will always give you an edge on broadband
phase noise. ADEV / short term stability is linked to the Q of your resonator. In a quartz crystal, maximum Q is
roughly proportional to frequency. The other limit on Q is blank geometry (size). One other limit is practicality -
is a $250,000 OCXO that is 1 cubic meter in size appropriate for your application? The answer to that one is
universally - NO :) Somewhere along the line of larger size and cost, other technologies make more sense.

So, if better = phase noise floor, 100 MHz is better than 10 MHz. If better = ADEV, 5 MHz in a large package is
likely better than 100 MHz. Indeed these are only two variables. There are *many* others you could look at.

Lots of fun

Bob