[time-nuts] A good GPS-Receiver with 1PPS output...

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Wed May 10 08:38:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017, at 09:52 PM, Ulf Kylenfall via time-nuts wrote:

> Gentlemen.
> I am sure this has been asked before...
> I am looking to purchase a GPS receiver modulethat supplies a good/stable
> 1PPS outputwith as little (internally) generated jitter as possible.

How much jitter is tolerable? What's your budget?

The u-blox NEO-M8T is cheap (a PCB-mounted version is available for USD
$75, see [1]) and according to its brochure[2] it has +/-11ns jitter
with an absolute accuracy of 21ns. That's pretty good.

On that particular board, the PPS line is wired to an LED indicator
light so some light soldering would be needed to run a wire off of that
line to your HP 105B. Alternatively, the shop owner is happy to redesign
the board in whatever wiring configuration you need if you're willing to
buy 10 of the modified board. Keep in mind the connectors on the board
are 1.25mm, so you'd need to be sure you have appropriate connectors,
but those are cheap and readily available on eBay and the like.

Cheers!
-Pete

[1] <http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=205>
[2]