[time-nuts] Oscillators and Ovens

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 03:25:24 UTC 2017

On 11/1/17 1:38 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

>> In general, OCXOs have crystals with high Q -> low phase noise,  especially
>> compared to a TCXO, which *can't* have high Q, or the  temperature
>> compensation circuit can't do it's work.
>
> I don't understand that.  Why can't I build a high Q TCXO?  I don't need to
> change the compensation very fast.  Are good crystals high enough Q that it
> would take too long?

Think of the oscillator as an amplifier and a high Q mechanical filter -
it gets the Q from being mechanically stiff.

In order to move the frequency, you have to electrically push it, which
is counter to the mechanical stiffness.  You just don't have the tuning
range available.

We struggled on a project to build a high Q, but adjustable DRO, and
that was the fundamental problem.