[time-nuts] 1pps isolation

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 1 21:48:21 UTC 2017

Hi

For something like a 1:1 transformer, you actually don’t need all that super a ferrite.
Essentially all the current flow balances between the windings so you don’t have a
lot of (effective) mag field in the core. Going with a lower frequency / higher permeability
core “forces” any residual field to balance the current. Yes, it’s a bit more complicated
than that, but you’ll get pretty close.

Obviously you are going to risk getting a positive going spike followed some time later
by a negative going spike. If you have a 100 ms wide 1 PPS signal …. that’s what
you will see. Since the front edge will be nice and fast, that’s not really a problem. Some
sort of clamp diode to protect a logic input might be a good idea though.

The same “balance” thing that helps with the core also helps you with the temperature
coefficient. Looking at ferrite data, you would guess that the tempco would be really
rotten. They can be pretty good.

So yes, give it a try. Jitter and ADEV should not be all that bad.

Bob