[time-nuts] Trueposition Antenna Location

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Mon Dec 3 14:02:43 UTC 2018

On 03/12/2018 12:30 AM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
> ... and will also try to move
> the antennas to a location with lower multipath.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions,
>
> Mark

Mark,

Antenna position can be odd.

Shortly after you first posted "Trueposition Antenna Location", as I'd
noticed that my skyview's 'transformer hole' had filled in after moving
the antenna 4" to the left on the window sill, I restarted LH to get a
fresh 'map' of my skyview raw signal level.

I've got a M8T-10 running with GPS, GLO & GAL. The antenna is on a ~nine
foot long window sill, left of centre on its wide centre pane. The
building, window & antenna are facing 30 degrees east of south.

- The upper image is LH from Nov 10, 2018. Antenna is ~six inches left
of centre on the wide centre pane.

The hole in reception centred 10 degrees north of east is due to the
small overhanging roof over the building entrance.
The hole centred 7 degrees west of south is a transformer on a pole.
The ~5 to ~10 degree gap at the horizon is due to buildings.
This skyview is typical of my location for my M8T-01 and M8T-10.
With GPS, GLO & GAL, the M8T-10 was averaging 4 satellites, max 9, min
0, regularly below 2, often 1, and a too high number of times it hit zero.
(The M8T-01 with GPS & GLO, would regularly hit zero a number of times a
day)

- The lower image is LH from Dec 3, 2018. Antenna was moved 4" left
after Nov 10th. For this skyview, it's ~ten inches left of centre on the
wide centre pane.

The signal strength in the best part of the skyview has increased.
The entrance roof hole remains.
The transformer on a pole now appears to be transparent...
The M8T-10 is averaging 7 satellites, max 13, min 0, rarely below 3, hit
1 a number of times, hit zero once.

For what it's worth,

Michael