[time-nuts] SRS PRS10 RFC

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:58:25 UTC 2018

Luiz,

I can express an opinion about the fan question.  I think it is a much
better idea to use a thermally-massive heat sink, still with enough
fins to dissipate the heat.  With a light (or no) heat sink the unit will
be much more responsive to local air temperature variations, meaning
that the frequency of the controlled oscillator will be less-well stabilized
by the feedback mechanism.

IIRC, you need to explicitly turn on the sync-to-PPS, although it's not
clear to me that there is any harm in leaving it on even when letting
the Rb run on its own.

At my previous job we had a PRS10 sitting on the shelf unused, and
I fired it up to see if it still worked (it did).  But it used a switching
P.S.
for the heavy-draw stuff (oven etc), and a linear supply for the main
electronics stuff.  I don't remember noticing any problems from that
arrangement.

Dana