[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 18:02:33 UTC 2018

On 12/4/18 9:00 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> Because of the Q of WWVB's transmit antenna (at least 300 by my back of the
> envelope estimates), I don't think we could ever claim a WWVB PPS edge
> sharper than 5 milliseconds and that might be optimistic.

Sure you can.. you do a matched filter to the waveform, so you're not
just looking at a single zero crossing or cycle.  Getting fraction of a
degree phase accuracy from a strong signal is entirely possible.

A Q of 300 implies a bandwidth of 200Hz, which would, if a single
section, be a delay of a few milliseconds.  But that delay should be
constant. What might be the limit on precision is whether the delay
through the antenna and the ultimate radiated phase changes with, say,
temperature or soil properties.