[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 4 21:29:39 UTC 2018

Hi

So, backing off a bit:

Assuming you are going to compare two data points a bit over 24 hours apart (100,000 seconds):

Accuracy of reading pair			Result pp 		Result sci

100 ms						1 ppm			1x10^-6
10 ms						100 ppb			1x10^-7
1 ms						10 ppb			1x10^-8
100 us						1 ppb			1x10^-9
10 us						100 ppt			1x10^-10
1 us							10 ppt			1x10^-11

At 100 ms, you need to go for a *lot* of days before you get out of the “that’s interesting ….. yawn …”
category. Since it’s a pair you are concerned about, each might have a 50 ms error to get you to the
100 ms total. It’s still plenty good enough for a typical wall clock.

At one day you don’t cross into “as good as a free running Rb” territory until you get below 100 us.
That’s also the point you hit roughly the typical GPS module’s performance at 1 second.
If you want to get a “Time Nuts” grade solution, microseconds are indeed the units to worry about.

Assuming you hit can 100 us per pair, and want to get into the 1 to 10 ppt range, you are out around
100 days for each “run”. That seems like a long time to wait.

Since one period is 16.667 us, hitting well below 100 us implies keeping track of which cycle is which. Getting
to 10 us is just above a 180 degree phase error and 1 us is still above 10 degrees.

I’d say that for a practical “Time Nut" device … you need the equivalent of cycle tracking at the very least.

Indeed, as mentioned by … somebody …. this all can be done and … ummm …. has been done for similar
signals by …errr …somebody :)

Bob